The very first dinner I made in my Thermomix was risotto. Before my Thermie, I’d always loved making risotto on the stovetop or in the oven and I was totally unconvinced that a machine could do it better… until I went to a demo. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make risotto in the Thermomix. It was definitely one of the deciding factors for buying a Thermomix!
This easy family risotto is full of delicious flavours! In fact, my Chicken, Pumpkin, Bacon & Baby Spinach Risotto is always a family favourite in our house. I like to use a bit of white wine in my risotto, but you can always substitute it for water if you like. Also, make sure you cut your pumpkin into very small cubes as otherwise it won’t steam enough in the Varoma (once I cut them too big and had to finish them off in the microwave at the last minute… oops!).
If you’ve got a Thermoserver then definitely pop your risotto in there for 10 minutes to thicken. If you don’t have one, leave it in the TM bowl with the lid and measuring cup on. Before I had my Thermoserver, I would just dish the risotto up straight away, but it really needs that extra time for the liquid to soak in the the risotto to thicken up. Yum!
Don’t forget to check out this awesome new recipe on Chicken and Mushroom Risotto!
Chicken, Pumpkin & Baby Spinach Risotto
- 80 g parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 40 g olive oil
- 3 shortcut rashes bacon , chopped
- 250 g chicken breast , cubed
- 350 g arborio rice
- 2 tbs chicken stock powder (or vegetable stock)
- 900 g water
- 100 g white wine
- 200 g pumpkin , chopped into small cubes
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Place parmesan cheese into the bowl and grate on Speed 8 for 10 seconds. Remove and set aside.
- Place garlic and onion in Thermomix bowl and chop for 3 seconds on Speed 5.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add olive oil, cubed chicken breast and chopped bacon and saute for 4 minutes, 100 degrees, Reverse Speed Soft.
- Add arborio rice, chicken stock, wine and water to the bowl.
- Put the pumpkin into the Varoma and place on top of the TM.
- Cook for 16 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 2.
- Place the risotto into the Thermoserver, add the cooked pumpkin, the baby spinach and 1/2 of the parmesan cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover for 5-10 minutes to allow the risotto to thicken.
- Serve with the remaining parmesan cheese on top.