Dinner time in our house can be chaotic, especial when we have been out for the day or the boys have been at kindy, which is why I try as hard as I can to have dinner ready to serve nice and early.
Since getting our Thermomix, risotto make a regular appearance on our meal planner as it’s such a great way to use up any veggies sitting in the crisper along with anything we may have lurking in our freezer. This Zucchini, Pea and Bacon Risotto is one of our favourite variations and best of all there is always enough left over to pop a couple of portions into the freezer for another day.
I have amended the standard risotto recipe to suit our taste (and pantry) and exclude the wine simply because we would end up wasting a bottle. By adding garlic and a little extra vegetable stock, this risotto is still packed with flavour for the adults along with being friendly for the little ones.
Remember to also check out our new recipe on Chicken and Mushroom Risotto. It’s a sure winner!
Zucchini, Pea and Bacon RisottoPrint Pin Rate
- 1 brown onion (approximately 30g)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 40 g of butter
- 40 g of parmesan cheese
- 40 g of olive oil
- 320 g of arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable stock
- 4 rashers of short cut bacon
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 2 small zucchinis
- 780 g of water
- Place the parmesan cheese into your Thermomix bowl and grate it for 12 seconds on speed 10. Pour it into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Chop the zucchini into large chunks and place in bowl. Chop for 10 seconds on speed 5 or until grated into small pieces. Pour into a separate bowl and set aside until needed Clean and dry your Thermomix bowl.
- Place the brown onion, bacon and clover of garlic into the bowl and chop for 4 seconds on speed 5 before scraping down the sides.
- Add the butter and olive oil and cook for 3 minutes, 120 degrees speed 1 - REVERSE.
- Insert the Butterfly Whisk into the bowl ad add the arborio rice and cook for a further 1 minute, 120 degrees, speed 1.5 REVERSE without the measuring cup in place. Scrape the sides and base of the bowl once finished cooking.
- Add 60g of water and the zucchini before cooking for 2 minutes, Varoma, speed 1.5 REVERSE again without the measuring cup. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with your spatula.
- Add the stock and water and cook for 12 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 1.5 REVERSE with the simmer basket on top of the lid instead of the measuring cup.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for a further 4 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 1.5 REVERSE.
- Carefully pour the cooked risotto into a Thermomserver before mixing through the parmesan cheese.
What’s your favourite risotto combination?