Growing up I always loved eating the Arnott’s Monte Carlo biscuits – they were one of my faves! I’d twist them apart, eat the filling and then gobble up the biscuits. Too much information? Or a you a twist and eater too?
Anyway, I thought it was time to convert my Monte Carlo biscuit recipe to the Thermomix. These are way, way better than the packet ones… I promise! Think soft chewy biscuits sandwiched together with jam and the most beautiful buttercream filling. Oh my gosh it’s good.
This is the perfect thing to enjoy in the afternoon with a cup of tea. Actually, it’s great at anytime of the day! And yep, I still twist and eat… even with these homemade Monte Carlos (although I made an exception for this photo!).
How do you eat your Monte Carlos? Do you bite straight in or twist and eat the filling first?
- 185 g butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup self-raising flour
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup strawberry jam (or other jam)
- 60 g butter
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line two trays with baking paper.
- Place butter and sugar into TM bowl.
- Cream together for 1 minute on speed 3-4.
- With TM still running, add egg and vanilla through hole in lid and continue mixing on speed 3-4 for 30 seconds.
- Add the flours and coconut and then knead on interval speed for 30 seconds.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place on baking paper lined trays.
- Press a fork lightly over the top of the dough balls.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden-brown.
- Remove from oven and leave on the trays for 5 minutes.
- Place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream filling, place icing sugar into the TM bowl and mix for 10 seconds on Speed 9 (to remove lumps).
- Add butter, vanilla and milk and mix for 30 seconds on Speed 4.
- Place a teaspoon of jam onto the middle of half of the cookies.
- Add a teaspoon of buttercream on top of the jam.
- Top with another biscuit and press together lightly until the jam and buttercream reach the edges.
- Store in an airtight container.