I absolutely LOVE muesli bars! I used to buy them from the supermarket all the time. That is, until I decided that they were way too expensive and by making my own, I knew exactly what was going into them (have you seen all the additives and preservatives that some of the bought ones have!!!??). Anyway, I’ve played around with a few (oh who am I kidding???… a LOT!), of muesli bar recipes in the Thermomix and this one is my favourite. It’s got just the right balance of fruit and nuts and is oh-so soft and chewy. I like to make my own peanut butter in the Thermomix and then use it in these muesli bars. Again, the thermie just makes it so easy!
My husband always requests that I make these Fruit & Nut Muesli Bars – and that’s really saying something given that he would 100% choose a Twix bar over an apple any day! So these yummy little things have the balance of being healthy, but also totally delicious!
Fruit & Nut Muesli Bars
- 1⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup rice bubbles (or any puffed rice)
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
- ½ cup peanut butter (almond butter or any other nut butter would also be fine)
- ½ cup rice malt syrup (or honey)
- 1 cup seed and nut trail mix
- ½ cup cranberries , sultanas or other dried fruit
- ½ cup cacao nibs (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius (160 if using fan forced).
- Line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper.
- Leave some paper hanging over the edge so that the bars will be easier to remove from the pan.
- Melt the coconut oil, peanut butter and rice malt syrup on 90 degrees, reverse speed 2 for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla and mix on 90 degrees, reverse speed 2 for 1 minute or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the rolled oats, flour, coconut, seed and nut trail mix and dried fruit and mix on reverse speed 4 for 20 seconds.
- Add the puffed rice and cacao nibs and gently mix together on reverse speed 2 for 20 seconds (you may need to use the spatula to make sure it is all mixed together.
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- *If you like, you can drizzle some melted chocolate over the slice once it’s out of the oven.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into bars.