It's an easy cake to put together and best of all it's freezer friendly (even when iced) so you can always have a slice of cake handy whenever you feel like it - winning!
It's a great cake to enjoy while still warm from the oven or iced with a simple vanilla icing. However if you want to make this Thermomix Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake something extra special, try icing it with a Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below) - yum!
Thermomix Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake
- 125 grams butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 220 grams caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225 grams plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 120 grams milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind. finely grated
- ¼ cup Poppy Seeds
Cream Cheese Icing
- 200 grams icing sugar
- 100 grams butter softened
- 250 grams cream cheese softened
- Line a large loaf tin with baking paper and preheat your oven to 150 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Place the softened butter into your Thermomix bowl and mix 2 minutes on speed 3 until it is pale and creamy.
- Once the butter is pale and creamy, add the eggs and mix for 10 seconds on speed 3 to combine.
- Add the remainder of your ingredients and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 - if your mixture hasn't quite combined, mix for a further 5 seconds on speed 4 or until your mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, prepare the cream cheese icing by placing the butter and icing sugar into your Thermomix and mix for 30 seconds, speed 3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 30 seconds, speed 4 or until smooth and pale.
- Add the cream cheese and mix for 20 seconds, speed 3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 20 seconds, speed 4 or until smooth.
- Use a spatula or a butter knife to then spread the icing over the cake.