It's an easy cake to put together and best of all it's freezer friendly (even when iced) so you can always have a slice of cake handy whenever you feel like it - winning!
It's a great cake to enjoy while still warm from the oven or iced with a simple vanilla icing. However if you want to make this Thermomix Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake something extra special, try icing it with a Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below) - yum!
- 125 g of butter – softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 220 g of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225 g of plain flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind.
- ¼ cup of Poppy Seeds
- Line a large loaf tin with baking paper and preheat your oven to 150 degrees.
- Place the softened butter into your Thermomix bowl and mix 2 minutes on speed 3 until it is pale and creamy.
- Once the butter is pale and creamy, add the eggs and mix for 10 seconds on speed 3 to combine.
- Add the remainder of your ingredients and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 - if your mixture hasn't quite combined, mix for a further 5 seconds on speed 4 or until your mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, prepare the cream cheese icing by placing 250g of softened cream cheese and 100g of softened butter into an electric mixer and beating for 3 – 4 minutes until well combined. Add 1 ¼ cups of icing sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix well to combine.
- Use a spatula or a butter knife to then spread the icing over the cake.