Risotto would have to be one of my number 1 favourite things to make in the Thermomix. Before my Thermie days, I had my fair share of hits and misses when it came to risotto. I would forget to stir it enough. Or I would cook it for ages and it STILL wasn't cooked through. And on top of all that, my beautiful mother-in-law was the absolute queen of risottos. She always made it look so simple... and her's were always absolutely perfect (unlike mine!).
Anyway, after I bought my Thermomix, I knew that risotto had to be one of the very first recipes to try. And right from the very start, my Thermomix risottos have turned out great! I love that the Thermie makes everything so darn easy.
This Thermomix Chicken, Avocado & Pumpkin Risotto would have to be one of my absolute faves. It's so easy and yummy... and everyone enjoys it! I do find though that the pumpkin is much nicer if you bake it in the oven and then stir it through at the end. This is a bit of a pain in the bum (because the Thermie should do EVERYTHING right!?), but it definitely gives it a nicer flavour and texture. I've found that steaming the pumpkin in the Varoma takes longer than the risotto does to cook, and if you add it to the bowl you sort of just end up with orange risotto (which isn't too bad actually!).
This is a really versatile recipe. You can add in bacon, baby spinach, peas, chopped capsicum... whatever you like! As with all risottos, it seems to always make a huge batch, so be prepared for leftovers!!
Don't forget to check out this awesome new recipe on Chicken and Mushroom Risotto!
Thermomix Chicken, Avocado & Pumpkin Risotto
- 90 g parmesan cheese
- 500 g pumpkin , cubed (with the skin removed)
- 1 onion , - peeled and halved
- 2 cloves garlic (or 2 teaspoon of minced garlic)
- 50 g olive oil
- 320 g arborio rice
- 100 g white wine
- 300 g chicken breast , thinly sliced
- 800 g vegetable stock (or however much liquid it takes to get to just below the fill line)
- 1 avocado , chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Place the chopped pumpkin onto a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until just tender.
- Place the pumpkin into the Thermoserver.
- Meanwhile, place the parmesan cheese into the TM bowl - grate on Speed 10 for 8 seconds.
- Set aside and rinse/dry the bowl very well.
- Place the garlic and onion into the TM bowl and chop on speed 5 for 6 seconds.
- Add 50g olive oil and sauté for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 1, Reverse (MC off).
- Add rice and wine and sauté for 2 min, 100 degrees, Speed 1, Reverse.
- Add chicken and vegetable stock and cook for 18 minutes, 100C, Speed 1, reverse.
- Pour the risotto over top of the pumpkin.
- Add in ¾ of the parmesan cheese and stir.
- Place the lid onto the Thermoserver and leave for 10 minutes.
- Stir through the chopped avocado.
- Serve with the remaining parmesan cheese.
Can you please update recipe to show where MC is on/off.
Hi, when cooking at the end do I leave the MC on or off? Thank you!!
Hi Jami, leave it off but place the rice basket over the top to catch any splashes. x
I made this for dinner tonight. I’ve never had or even made a risotto before. And this recipe was so simple and easy to follow and turned out perfectly. Wasn’t too soggy or too dry. Husband loved it also 🙂
Lucy Mathieson says
Fantastic! Thank you for the lovely feedback!
This was amazing! I made it in the Bellini with no changes, and it was divine. I don't usually like risotto but chose this recipe to use up some ingredients. Glad I did, as it has converted my whole household to risotto.
Lauren Matheson says
Hi Sarah, sorry we don't have that information xx
Is it a particular Pumpkin that you suggest to use for the risottos ?
I usually use butternut but most would work fine!
Thank you for the recipe, tonight was the second time I've tried it and both times it's turned out perfectly for me, although ny daughter doesn't really like a strong stock taste so tonight I replaced part of it with water and she loved it, especially with the roasted pumpkin.
Fantastic!! We're thrilled to hear that!! xx
So glad you liked it!
Hi Jane, I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've never had that happen myself but will look into it and see if any changes should be made to the recipe.
Hi, this was my first ever risotto in the thermie, but after only 10mins cooking (after adding chicken and stock), it started sticking to the bottom and burning, even though there was plenty of liquid. What did I do wrong, please?
Can I please ask if cooking time is extended if you use brown rice? If so please advise how long, thank you 🙂
Ooh good question! To be honest, I haven't made this risotto using brown rice so wouldnt be able to give you a definite answer. It may need a bit longer though.
This was delicious but my rice was crunchy despite and extra 15 minutes cooking time?
This was delicious! I halved the recipe as it was only for 2 of us, and added spinach & red capsicum, along with the pumpkin and avocado. I had 3 helpings! I cooked for 15 minutes and it was perfect. Love that it seems to be a really versatile recipe, and you can add whatever is in the fridge.
I love a yummy risotto! You've got me feeling all inspired!
Thanks for the delicious recipe!
Happy FFF's lovely ladies xx
Hi, what can I use instead of white wine? (As pregnant)
Hi Sammy, the alcohol will cook out so it's not a problem, but if you're still worried you can just use a little extra chicken stock liquid. 🙂