Our Thermomix Spinach and Cheese Pie makes a great family meal - plus it's freezer friendly too.
If you (and the kids!) like our Thermomix Spinach and Ricotta Rolls, then you are going to LOVE this easy Thermomix Spinach and Cheese Pie! This Spinach and Cheese Pie is really simple to put together (please don't be put off by the list of ingredients) and the result is a delicious, cheesy and creamy pie that make a great easy midweek meal.
The trickiest bit when making this Spinach and Cheese Pie probably is transferring the sheets of filo pastry from your bench to your baking dish as it can be delicate. If you put your filo pastry together before getting your baking dish ready, I suggest covering it with a tea towel to help stop it from drying out. You can also play around with the quantities of cheese in this recipe if you like, I've also made this using an extra 50 grams of parmesan cheese and we've also added some cooked bacon pieces to it before - soooo good!!
If you are looking for more easy Thermomix dinner recipes, make sure you check out our Thermomix Chow Mein and Thermomix Pasta Bake recipes. You can also find more Thermomix dinner recipes in our 'Month of Thermomix Dinners' eBook.
Thermomix Spinach and Cheese Pie
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 90 g tasty cheese
- 1 brown onion halved
- 2 garlic cloves or 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 15 g olive oil
- 200 g feta
- 4 eggs
- 300 g sour cream
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 200 g baby spinach leaves
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 50 g butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Place the parmesan and tasty cheese (cut into 4cm cubes) into your Thermomix bowl and mix for 8 seconds, Speed 7. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside until needed.
- In a clean Thermomix bowl, add the onion (cut in half), garlic and olive oil and mix for 4 seconds, Speed 6. Cook for 3 minutes, 90 degrees, Speed 2.
- Add the feta, eggs, sour cream, grated cheeses, nutmeg, a pinch of salt and pepper to your Thermomix bowl and mix for 20 seconds, Speed 4.
- Add 100g of the baby spinach leaves and mix for 10 seconds, Speed 3. Add the remaining 100g and mix for a further 15 seconds, Speed 3.
- Place a piece of the filo pastry onto your bench and brush it with a little melted butter. Top it with another sheet of filo pastry and again brush this with the melted butter. Repeat until you have used all of the sheets of pastry.
- Carefully transfer the pastry into a 20cm square baking dish and cut away any excess pastry which is hanging over the sides.
- Pour the filling into the dish and gently smooth the surface. Place into the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the filo pastry to defrost before using.
- The filo pastry is very delicate so be careful when brushing over the butter.
- Add the baby spinach in two seperate lots (this avoids overloading the Thermomix bowl).
- Use a soft feta (like Danish feta).
- Bake the pie until golden on top and cooked through in the centre.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to defrost in the fridge before reheating.
- Reheat in the oven for crispy pastry.
Do you freeze after or before baking and how do you re-heat?
Lauren Matheson says
Hello, I freeze this after baking and then reheat at 190 degrees for around 15/20 minutes x