Our soft and fluffy Thermomix Bao Buns served with leftover roast pork and crunchy asian slaw make the perfect family dinner.
If you're looking for a yummy new dinner to make in your Thermomix, this is it!!! Our Thermomix Bao Buns are always a massive hit with the whole family. I like to make these buns whenever I have leftover roast pork or pulled pork sitting in the fridge. Add some fresh crunchy slaw, some creamy mayo and you've got a delicious meal waiting for you!
This recipe makes quite a lot of buns (around 15-18) so if you're only feeding a couple of people, you can freeze the extra dough for another time. We find that 2-3 buns is plenty for an adult (unless you're super hungry of course!!).
If you are looking for some more yummy dinner ideas, make sure you grab your copy of our Thermomix Family Dinners eBook bundle!
Thermomix Bao Buns
- 250 g warm water
- 60 g sugar
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 520 g plain flour
- 60 g olive oil
- 1 ½ tsps salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 500 g extra water
- leftover roast pork (or pulled pork), slaw, Kewpie (Japanese) mayo and sesame seeds, to serve
- To make the bun dough, place the water, sugar and yeast into the Thermomix bowl and mix for 8 seconds, Speed 3. Allow to rest for 5 minutes or until the mixture has turned frothy.
- Add the plain flour, olive oil, salt and baking powder into the Thermomix bowl and mix for 8 seconds, Speed 6 to combine. Knead for 10 minutes, Kneading Function.
- Place the dough into a greased ThermoServer or large bowl and set aside in a warm, dry place to rise for 45 minutes.
- Rip a piece of baking paper into strips and place over the 2 layers of the Varoma trays (leaving gaps in between to allow the steam to escape).
- Knead the dough on an oiled bench or board. Divide the dough into approximately 15 - 18 small pieces. Roll into balls and flatten down into a circle/oval shape. Place small pieces of baking paper onto half of each flattened oval and fold over (so that the baking paper is in between.
- Place the bao buns onto the 2 trays of the Varoma.
- Fill the Thermomix bowl with 500g of water and put the Varoma (with the 2 trays) in place. Cook for 30 minutes, Varoma temperature, Speed 4.
- Take the buns out (they will be quite wet and sticky) and serve immediately with leftover roast pork, slaw, Kewpie (Japanese) mayo and sesame seeds.