Whether you're feeding a family of hungry kids or stocking up the freezer, our Thermomix chunky bolognese recipe is just what you need. Serve it with your favourite pasta or zoodles, on top of baked potatoes or nachos, in lasagne... the options are endless.
As a Mum, I am ALL for smuggling in a few extra sneaky vegetables wherever I possibly can - and our Thermomix chunky bolognese is the perfect way to do it.
Just like in our Hidden Vegetable Pasta Bake and our Vegetable Quiche, no one will be any the wiser that you've packed in ALL THE VEGGIES!
This is such a quick, easy and delicious midweek family dinner.
Why You're Going To Love This Recipe
There's a lot of love about this all-time favourite Thermomix chunky bolognese recipe:
- It's full of vegetables - this is my absolute favourite thing about our Thermomix chunky bolognese (minus the taste of course!). There's so much goodness going on and yet it tastes just like your favourite bolognese.
- Most popular dinner - ask any kid what their favourite dinner is and 'spag bol' is always going to be near the top of the list! This is a winner - even with the fussiest little eaters.
- Versatile - don't have celery? No problem! Substitute it with another vegetable. Don't have crushed tomatoes? Use passata instead! You can mix and match with this recipe with ease.
- Freezer-friendly - our Thermomix chunky bolognese is perfect for meal planning ahead of time and popping in the freezer. Alternatively, you can freeze any leftovers (if there is any!).
What You Need
Vegetables - we use a mix of onion, carrots, celery, pumpkin and zucchini - however you can use any vegetables you like (see our tips below).
Meat - beef mince and bacon give this chunky bolognese a delicious hearty texture.
Tomatoes - for that classic rich tomato sauce we recommend using crushed tomatoes (wither fresh or tinned) or passata. We also recommend adding tomato paste for added flavour.
Herbs & Seasonings - give your bolognese an extra flavour boost by adding garlic and mixed herbs.
Step By Step Instructions
This simple Thermomix family dinner will be on the table in less than 1 hour.
Note: Please scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full detailed method.
Step 1: Saute
Chop the garlic, onion and bacon and then saute with olive oil until softened.
Step 2: Chop The Vegetables
Add the vegetables and chop as chunky or as fine as you like (if you have fussy eaters, the finer the better!).
Step 3: Add The Tomatoes & Herbs
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs and cook.
Step 4: Add The Beef Mince
Cook the beef mince in the basket, breaking up the large chunks partway through.
Step 5: Combine The Meat & Sauce
Very carefully, pour the Thermomix chunky bolognese meat and the sauce into a ThermoServer or container. Mix together until well combined. Serve.
Expert Tips & FAQ
Absolutely! You can omit a particular vegetable and replace it with more of another if you like. Mushrooms, sweet potato and baby spinach also work great in this recipe.
Yes, of course! It does add a lovely flavour to the dish however.
This is the recipe for you! For very fussy eaters, we recommend chopping the vegetables for longer until they are very fine. They will then cook down into the sauce and be virtually impossible to spot!
If using canned diced or crushed tomatoes, I recommend using the Ardmona brand as it is less watery than other brands. You can also use fresh tomatoes (add a little extra tomato paste if you do). Alternatively, use a jar of passata in place of the diced tomatoes for extra richness and flavour.
This recipes makes a big batch! We find that it serves a family of 2 adults and 3 young kids enough for 2 meals.
Store any leftover sauce in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Freeze the Thermomix chunky bolognese sauce in a container for up to 3 months.
More Thermomix Family Dinners
We're all about quick, easy and family-friendly dinners! Browse our collection of hardcopy Thermomix dinners cookbooks (all cookbooks come with a free ebook emailed immediately upon purchase).
Veggie Packed Thermomix Chunky Bolognese
- Thermomix Basket Insert
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 slices short cut bacon roughly chopped
- 1 brown onion cut in half
- 20 grams olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped into 4 cm pieces
- 2 stalks of celery chopped into 4 cm pieces
- 100 grams pumpkin peeled
- 1 zucchini chopped into 4cm pieces
- 800 grams crushed tomato or passata
- 40 grams tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 500 grams beef mince
- Place the garlic, onion and bacon into your Thermomix bowl and blitz for 3 seconds, Speed 6.
- Scrape down the sides of the Thermomix bowl and add the olive oil before cooing for 3 minutes, Varoma temperature, Speed 2.
- Add the carrots, celery, zucchini and pumpkin pieces and mix for 4 seconds, speed 5. Mix for a further 5 seconds, Speed 5 if you would like the vegetables to be chopped into small pieces.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and dried mixed herbs and cook for 5 minutes, varoma temperature, speed 2.
- Place the beef mince into the basket and break it up with your spatula. Carefully place it into your Thermomix bowl and cook for 8 minutes, Varoma temperature, Speed 3, Reverse.
- At the 8 minute mark, gently stir the mince and cook for another 4 minutes, Varoma temperature, Speed 3, Reverse or until the mince has cooked through.
- Carefully remove the basket from the Thermomix bowl and tip the mince into your Thermoserver or another large bowl/container. Add the sauce and stir through to combine.
Do I take the sauce out before putting mince in?
Hi, I am looking forward to making this spag bol when the family come over on the weekend. Can I just double the quantity to make more. Thanks
Hi Margaret, doubling this recipe may take you over the max line which is a definite no-go in the Thermomix! I would stick to the recipe and do 2 batches instead. xx