Since making Hot Cross Buns in my Thermomix, I've been having a little fun experimenting with different flavours. So far these White Chocolate and Cranberry Hot Cross Buns are up there with being the most delicious Hot Cross Buns I have ever tasted - a big call I know!
My favourite thing about this recipe is the way the white chocolate pieces begin to melt into the bun which creates a deliciously sweet and soft treat. Have I convinced you yet? What are you waiting for - make these today!
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- ½ cup of caster sugar (115g)
- 1½ cups of lukewarm milk (375g)
- 4¼ cups of plain flour (640g)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 50 g of melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of craisins (150g)
- 200 g of white chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons of water.
- Break 100g of white chocolate into squares and place into your thermomix bowl. Blend for 5 seconds on speed 5 or until it's roughly chopped (time may vary due to the temperature of your chocolate). Pour into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place the yeast, 2 teaspoons of the sugar and all of the milk into your thermomix bowl and cook for 2 minutes on 37 degrees, speed 1. Leave yeast mixture in bowl whilst you move onto the next steps.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and set aside until needed.
- Line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper and also set aside until needed.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, egg, butter and remaining sugar into the thermomix bowl. Mix for 15 seconds on speed 7 or until all ingredients have combined.
- Add the craisins and whopped white chocolate to the bowl and combine for 3 minutes using the kneading function.
- Place the dough into the prepared oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and sit in a warm place for around an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into 12 equal pieces before rolling into balls.
- Place the dough balls into the prepared cake tin, cover with a tea towel and place the tin in a warm spot for another 30 minutes to allow the dough to again rise.
- While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Once the dough has risen, place the tray into the oven to bake for 20 minutes, or until the buns are golden brown and spring back when touched.
- To prepare your glaze, place the apricot jam and water into a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds before mixing to combine.
- Brush the glaze over the still hot Hot Cross Buns before carefully transferring the buns to a wire rack to cool.
- Once the buns have completely cooled, melt the remaining 100g of white chocolate and place it in a piping bag before piping the crosses onto the top of each bun.
- Allow the chocolate to set and enjoy.
Tried this Recipe? Share it Today!Mention @Thermobliss or tag #Thermobliss!
What is your favourite Hot Cross Bun flavour?
We’ve done these every year and they always turn out well. I also make extra and freeze without the white chocolate crosses for school lunches