If I had to choose just one dessert to eat for the rest of my life (a scary thought I know!) then hands down it would have to be this Sticky Date Pudding!
I grew up eating this pudding and this Thermomix version is based on the recipe my Nan used to make when we were kids. While you can also make this Sticky Date Pudding in individual containers, I think there is something special about putting this pudding down in the centre of the table and letting everyone help themselves to a nice big piece - although if you are like my sister and I, you may just end up fighting over who has the biggest slice!
This is such a classic recipe and is the perfect way to finish off a special meal, although I won't judge if you decide to have this pudding as a main meal! Although I think this Sticky Date Pudding is amazing all on it's own, it does taste pretty spectacular when served with a scoop of ice-cream.
Sticky Date Pudding
- 220 grams pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200 grams boiling water
- 90 grams butter softened
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams brown sugar for the pudding
- 2 eggs
- 180 grams self raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 140 grams butter for the caramel sauce
- 120 ml thickened cream for the caramel sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract for the caramel sauce
- 150 grams brown sugar for the caramel sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced).
- Place the pitted dates, vanilla extract, boiling water and bicarbonate of soda into your Thermomix bowl and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter (90g), caster sugar and 50g of brown sugar to the Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds, Speed 5.
- Add the eggs, self raising flour and cinnamon and mix for 5 seconds, Speed 4. Scrape down the sides and mix for a further 5 seconds, Speed 4 or until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2 litre baking dish (or similar) and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- To make the caramel sauce, in a clean Thermomix bowl add 140g butter, cream, vanilla extract and 150g brown sugar. Cook for 8 minutes, Varoma temperature, Speed 2.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the hot Sticky Date Pudding to serve.
What's your favourite dessert?
For more yummy Thermomix dessert ideas, check out our Top 10 Winter Thermomix Dessert Recipes!