I'm sure by now you know I am a big fan of classic recipes. In fact, most of my favourite recipes come from old CWA cookbooks, or handwritten recipes that have been passed down. This Thermomix Jam & Coconut Slice is exactly that... a total and utter classic. I think the thing I love the most about this slice is that all of the ingredients are pantry staples. It really is one of those recipes that you can whip up at the last minute, without needing to make a trip to the supermarket.
Personally, I like to use raspberry or strawberry jam, buy you can of course, use any flavour you like. I'm thinking that blueberry jam would be very yummy too. Oh and if you're really clever, you could even make your own jam in the Thermomix and use that!!
The hardest part about this slice is waiting for it to cool... that's so hard! But trust me, you really need to wait. Once, I couldn't help myself and cut a slice straight out the oven. Let's just say that hot jam really hurts!! Don't make the same mistake as me... wait for it to cool completely before cutting it (you won't burn yourself AND it will be heaps easier to cut as well!).
Thermomix Jam & Coconut Slice
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 125 g butter , chilled and chopped into cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¾ cup jam (any flavour you like)
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease and line a rectangular slice tray (18cm X 28cm) with baking paper.
- Place the plain flour, ½ cup of caster sugar and the chilled butter into the TM bowl and process on Speed 5 for 10 seconds or until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 1 egg and the vanilla essence.
- Mix on Reverse Speed 2 for 3o seconds or until the mixture has formed into a dough.
- Press dough firmly into the base of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Spread jam over warm base.
- Place the remaining eggs and ½ cup caster sugar into the TM bowl and mix on Reverse Speed 3 for 20 seconds.
- Add the coconut and mix of Reverse Speed 2 for 15 seconds.
- Spread coconut mix over the jam.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting into slices.