Right now our lemon tree is so full of fruit! It’s great to be able to pop outside and grab a few lemons to use. One of my favourite recipes to use up all of those spare lemons, is this easy Date and Lemon Slice. This recipe is a hand-me-down from my Mum’s aunty (I’m a huge fan of hand-me-down family recipes!).
I remember making this slice with Mum when I was little, and even thought I didn’t like dates very much back then (now I love them!), this slice was still one of my favourites. I think it’s because the date flavour is quite subtle, so you don’t really notice it too much. I promise you’re going to love the combination of the sweet base, with the tangy lemon icing and the delicious little bites of dates.
When I got my Thermomix I knew that I needed to convert this recipe! And while it was already a simple recipe, the Thermomix makes it even easier. I know I always say this, but really… how good is the Thermomix!!!
Do you have a lemon tree that’s bursting with fruit too? How are you using them all up?
- 130 g plain flour
- 100 g coconut
- 175 g chopped dates
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 g butter
- 1 tbs golden syrup
- 250 g pure icing sugar
- 20 g butter , softened
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Extra coconut for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (170 if using fan-forced).
- Grease and line a square slice tray or sponge roll tin with baking paper.
- Weigh dates into TM bowl and roughly chop by pressing Turbo 5-6 times. Set aside.
- Melt butter and golden syrup together on 80 degrees, Speed 2, 2-3 minutes (or until melted).
- Weigh in dry ingredients.
- Mix well on Reverse, Speed 2 for 10-15 seconds or until combined.
- Press firmly into slice tin.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- To make the lemon icing, sift icing sugar into the TM bowl and add the butter and lemon juice.
- Beat on Speed 5 for 30 seconds until smooth and combined (scraping down the sides occasionally).
- Spread icing over warm slice.
- Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until icing has set.
- Cut into pieces. Serve.